Harry K

Charlie Self wrote:
Tom Quackenbush wrote:
gfulton wrote:
Ashton Crusher wrote:

snip
Actually, that seems like a pretty good use for it. The claim that
'it doesn't do the bar any good" is probably true but OTOH it is very
unlikely to do it any harm either. After all, it was being used up
until it was drained to lubricate a far more complicated and delicate
mechanical system (your car) with no ill effects. To think that it
was good enough for your car up till then, but inadequate for the task
of lubing the chain and bar is silly. And it's an equally silly
suggestion that someone is doing the world a favor to recycle it
instead because that means you will be using BRAND NEW oil instead of
that used oil - clearly a net loss to the world of limited oil.

Thank you for injecting some sanity into this discussion.

Well sure, but "sanity" makes for a pretty short discussion, now,
doesn't it?

I'm also not sure what carcinogenic (sp ?) risk is involved in
handling used motor oil.

Probably no more than just being born. I know a guy who used old motor
oil for a number of things, from (he thought) preserving fence posts to
sun tan oil. He's been doing both for upwards of 40 years with no
apparent ill effects.

My objection to used motor oil on chainsaw bars is simpler. It is too
thin, likely to get flung off, and provide almost no protection. That's
the same objection I'd have to running it on a motorcycle, or bicycle,
chain.

That is it in a nutshell. I figure if the engineers designing them say
to use oil formulated for the use, then use it. I am sure that they
know one hell of lot more about it than I do. I would have to dig out
my manual on my new saw to be sure but I think it specifically says not
to use motor oil.

Harry K