Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Burt wrote:

I can't remember the formula for the life of me.
If a dish is almost 3 ft across and I want to segment it like an orange into 10
segments how do I calculate how wide each will be at the rim?
So I end up with a dish that has 10 sides.

I'm math clueless.

*sigh*

The length of a side of an "n-ogon" inscribed in a circle is:
2*sin(180/n)

If you consider the angle out from the center of the circle, to the ends of
the section (which is called the 'chord') it's easily remembered as:
"twice the sine of half the angle".

How to confuse people -- note that you scale the above by the radius of
the circle. *BUT* there is that little '2x' factor sitting in front of
things. 2x the radius is the diameter. so you can use
diameter*sin(angle/2)
and seriously confuse the spectators.

*GRIN*