Karl Townsend

I've heard of nitric acid for disolving taps in AL. Bet it eats cast faster
than tool steel.

Karl

"John" wrote in message
I'm trying to determine which of the acids we used to use, in the old
days, to disintegrate broken taps or drills. I remember when that was
done occasionally, but don't remember which acid was used. I have a
friend who has a broken drill in cast iron and I thought this might be a
possibility before we start chopping at it with carbide tools and make
matters worse. It might at least loosen it up enough to remove by hand.
It's a 1/8" dia. drill and not in too deep, about 3/16", but it's bound
pretty tight.

Thanks
John

News==----