jim rozen

In article MZpve.4342$8o.2020@fed1read03, SteveB says...

There are already laws in every state that provide for citing people who
"fail to pay full time and attention" to driving. Start enforcing it.

There are also laws against tailgating, and failure to keep right
except when passing. Those are never enforced either.

More accidents are caused by inattention and tailgating but
the unfortunate fact is that traffic enforcement is not about
preventing accidents or about making the roads safer.

It is about revenue generation - speed enforcement in particular.

Cops don't care what's going on in the car unless they can
hit it with Lidar or a radar gun and give it a ticket. The
subjective issues like driving skill, attention, or politeness
simply are too far down on their priority list to matter.

This is why you see idiots simply driving off the road because
they're too busy talking on the phone. This is why you have
the poor confused elderly person driving at 40 mph in the fast
lane of a superhighway, causing all kinds of havoc behind them.
This is why the soccer mom who is disciplining their kid can
get away with being two feet away from your rear bumper.

Nobody cares anymore. The US roads have become a free-for-all
of bad behavior and me-centric activity.

I need to talk on the phone.
I need to drink coffee now.
I need to see what my kids doing in the backseat.
I need to get there in a hurry.
I need to drive in the fast lane, screw everyone else.
I need to put my makeup on before I get to work.
I need to read the newspaper.
I need to use my eyelash curler tongs now.

Cell phones are just the latest, most obvious form of me-centric
bad behavior that endagers all other road users simply because
the moron who's chatting away thinks that his phone call is
more important than driving his car.

Because cops in NY state can actually *see* a driver with a
hand-held cell phone in use, they can then generate revenue
by issuing tickets. Pretty soon we will have cell phone
trap stops like we now have seatbelt trap stops. The seatbelt
ones seem to work, I would say that seatbelt use is nearly
100% around here.

Jim

please reply to: