Wayne Whitney

On 2005-06-10, HerHusband wrote:

I know it's generally a bad idea to put Romex (NM-B) cable inside of
conduit because of the increased heat build up. However, I'm curious how
big of a problem it would be for a short 3' section of conduit?

Well, here's what my 2002 NEC says: Chapter 9 Table 1 says the
acceptable wire fill for one conductor (or one cable) in conduit is
53%. However, Note (2) says "Table 1 applies only to complete conduit
or tubing systems and is not intended to apply to sections of conduit
or tubing used to protect exposed wiring from physical damage."

So in my ignorance, it sounds like it is OK.

What if I strip the outer cable insulation and feed the individual
wires through the conduit (with a cable clamp at the bottom of the
conduit)?

I've often wondered about that practice, it seems dubious to me.

Yours, Wayne