Chuck

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:56:08 GMT, "Sherfey"
wrote:

How is apple to turn? I just got a large trunk that somebody threw out by
the curb. Didn't want to see it wasted before I tried it. Any thoughts?

As several have already mentioned, it is fun to turn, warps and
cracks, but is very interesting if you turn it thin enough so it
doesn't crack badly. I have a goblet on my desk that I turned thin
from a branch of my grandfather's apple tree. It looks like something
a forest gnome might drink his honey mead from.

One thing that nobody mentioned, though, is what an absolutely
marvelous _smoking_ wood apple is. Save your shavings and all of your
off-cuts for the barbecue grill or smoker. Soak them in water and
wrap a handful in a couple layers of aluminum foil and toss them in
the grill the next time you're doing pork or chicken especially, or
even beef or any other meat. The flavor is out-of-this-world!

No waste, either, since you use the whole tree!

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget