Matt,

A threaded tenon does have it's good points, all of which you
mentioned. I started working on these about 8 months ago, had a test
run done, had 4 "test" turners use them, got feedback on turning/gluing
and customer feedback. We tried to loosen the hold before selling by
putting the stopper in and out, not gently and a couple times a day for
a week or two, none came apart.

Yes, it would be easier cleaning with a removable screw top but the 3
o-rings make it quite easy to clean; easier than the rubber
gasket/stopper on the chrome where you need a toothbrush to get in the
grooves. Also how much cleaning do bottle stoppers need, they won't go
in the dishwasher (except by the person who puts wooden bowls in
there!).

I don't drink wine so I did a whole lot of research, asking winery
owners (sent them a sample stopper) and a turner on another forum who
writes reviews for a winery magazine. They didn't agree on
everything, but they all liked the stainless (300 series) and FDA app'd
rubber rings snugger fit over the chrome stopper. (something about
good for bouquet and no air?)

I did all this research because I had presented my design to 2 of the
big guys who import the chrome stoppers, looking to just sell the
design rights. Both of them said they were doing just fine with the
chrome and didn't feel anyone would see an advantage in mine over the
chrome. So I bit the bullet, did the copyright and design patent thing
and am selling them myself...........UNTIL one of the big guys sees how
well they're being received by stopper turners and they do a knock-off,
cutting me out.

"And Now You Know the Rest of the Story".... Paul Harvey (remember
him!) : )

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com