Grant Erwin

Think whatever you like, Bill. Whatever floats yer boat. Just size both
conductors sufficient to carry the full amps, not half the amps, and all will be
good. - GWE

Wild Bill wrote:
I don't subscribe to the proposal that current flows back out the other
input lead. As I've stated before, I always have to ask Ok, THEN where does
it go?

The concept that there is a return line is counter-productive to
understanding electrical power circuits.
If all current travels back into the earth, or some other whimsical theory,
nothing would operate as it does.
Earth ground connections are for safety only, to insure that a person is
never the only path between an electrical potential and earth ground.

In the application of a transformer with a 240VAC input, the supply
conductors do just that, they supply.. there is no return.
Because it's AC, the two conductors take turns being different potentials to
each other (easier to just think that they take turns being zero).
When the other line's potential is not zero, current flows through the
xfmr's primary winding (back 'n forth within the winding, not out to
somewhere else).

In a hydraulic circuit, the oil is returned to the pump (by way of a
reservior usually), and the hydraulic circuit is basically a closed loop.
Electricity ain't that way.

In an application where the transformer input is 120VAC, the neutral isn't a
return line. It's there to establish a potential. No potential, no worky.

For either xfmr, the output of the secondary winding floats until circuit
potentials are established.
The potential between one of the secondary terminals (either one) and earth
ground is essentially zero.
No potential, no current (aside from the microamp xfmr leakage, assuming
that the xfmr is not faulty). Some digital voltmeters are flakey when
measuring similar points, and give false voltage readings, but there is
absolutely no usable current present.
When a circuit is established, the secondary winding terminals are both
supply lines, there is no return.

Yeah, but my AC amp clamp meter shows current in the neutral line.
Does the meter show which direction it's flowing? Didn't think so, 'cause
it's alternating.
An oscilloscope won't help. There's no point in trying to tag a sinewave
peak to see it being used up.
You can't count the number of sinewaves that a table lamp uses. It's not
helpful to consider sinewaves as quantitiy of consumables.
Ever heard of a sinewave storage capacity for an AC capacitor? 'Course not.

WB

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

Wild Bill wrote:

What's in this welder described below, a couple of resistors?

Everyone had better hope that utility system current is not passing

through

the welder's output leads.

Obviously it is not.

WB

(snicker) Wow what a goober I hacked up that time! I have to laugh at the

fact

that electrical engineers are capable of the dumbest things sometimes. OK,

let's

amend it: current flows down one leg, through the primary of the

transformer and

back through the other leg. Point is, the same current flows in both

legs. - GWE