quietguy

Surely you would replace all those caps as a matter of course, as well as the
high value resisters

David

Nomen Nescio wrote:

I'm just starting the process of bringing back from the dead a very old
1950's RCA color television. The CTC-7 chassis is very ugly looking, with
over 75 paper capacitors. There are also two Sprague can-type
electrolytics, 3 caps in each can. Will have to make something to replace.
Powering on is out of the question until I can replace numerous components.

I want to buy a capacitance meter to check both the caps that I'm replacing
and the replacement parts I will install. I've been looking at a BK
Precision 810c Capacitance Meter. Or maybe I'll buy a Fluke 177. But then
I read this from a post in 2002:

"don't expect the Capacitance measurements (of a DMM) to equal that of even
the cheapest C meter. Even on the "expensive" meters." Paul Grohe,
sci.electronics.basics

My concern is that the capacitor checker function built into a
multi-purpose DMM isn't as good as a stand-alone capacitance meter. Is
there any truth to this statement?