Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article .com,
Charlie Self wrote:

wrote:

BTW, I bet you never asked a baker to make you a cake with an image of
picture of MIckey Mouse in the icing. It seems there is some damn
Mickey Mouse protection in Copyright law (thanks to the late Sonny
Bono).

It's a trademark, not a copyright, in the case of the mouse and
friends, I think.

*NO*. "The Mouse" was a big issue driving the last couple of extensions
of the duration of _copyright_. Early Disney works -- e.g. "Steamboat Willy"
were about to run out of eligibility for copyright protection. Meaning that
_anybody_ could duplicate and sell those works. Would *not* be a trademark
infringement issue, as long as they represented what they were selling _as_
Disney's works.

ITYM "as long as they did NOT represent what ..."

No, I meant _exactly_ what I said. Referencing the 'creative work'.

That makes no sense. In the example as stated, the cakes were not
being baked by Disney. Refering to them as being Disney's work
absolutely would be infringement (also fraud).

--

FF