Mark Wells

When I started using a bandsaw, I read Duginske's book and worried all
the time about blade tension, distance to guide blocks, getting the
wheels perfectly parallel, etc. I also worried about what blade to use
for different tasks, etc. Then I read Lonnie Bird's book, who is much
more relaxed on all those topics.

Over time I've learned that most of those things don't make much
difference. Now I just use a Lenox 1/2", 4pi bi-metal blade and set
the factory guage to 1/2". If it flutters, I adjust it a little up or
done. I use that blade for everything -- ripping, resawing, and
dovetails. Works great. (I do have the Iturra spring because I
bottomed out the original obsessing over blade tension and it failed.)

You only need to worry about tension, etc. if your bandsaw doesn't
actually cut the way you expect it to. The bandsaw is a simple
machine. Using a sharp blade is probably what is most important.

Mark