Matt Heffron

Ruth,

Somewhere I once saw a stopper kit that had the stopper with a female thread
and used a threaded rod to attach to the wood. I thought this was a good idea
because it allowed the stopper to be removed from the wood in order to be
cleaned, without risking water damage to the wood.

You could do something similar by threading the shaft of the tenon which would
allow the glue to have a surface to hold better, if the user wanted to just glue it in
place. But they could also use a threaded insert in the wood if they wanted to be
able to remove the stopper from the wood.

This would probably increase the machining cost :-(

In any case, I would *think* that a textured surface on the tenon would make it
a bit more glueable in any medium. (But what do I know? :-)

Matt Heffron

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ken,

As to your suggestion about drilling a hole in the stopper base, two
reasons I didn't do this (I did think about it); 1) I have a lot of
potters, glass blowers and plastic composite workers who want these
stopper bases and they prefer a tenon: 2) it's really easier to drill a
hole in the wood turning, reverse chuck on a woodworm (I use pieces of
wood turned to 3/8" like a jam chuck) and glue the same as you would
with a wooden dowel. I found I turned the tops a lot faster; blank
in chuck, finish/shape bottom, drill hole, finish rest of shape, part
off, reverse chuck, sand tiny nub, done.

Thanks,
Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com