Alexander

"Chris Fonville" schreef in bericht
This is my first LCD and I am not having much luck. I have checked over
my wiring many many times and cannot seem to find the problem. It is a
4x20 hd4780 LCD. When I turn it on the backlight comes on and I receive
the test signal, but some lines are missing. The top 4 squares, or I
guess pixels, are on but then the next 2 down are not. The bottom 2 are
also on. Here is an example of one character:
*****
*****
*****

*****
*****
This is repeated for each character on the 1st and 3rd line of the LCD. Is
this a bad LCD or do I have my wiring wrong? Also, I can use LCD Smartie
and the LCD will respond but I can only make out some characters, but most
of the screen is gibberish. How can I go about fixing this problem? Any
help will be appreciated. Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

normally you send the ascii code of a character to the LCD (controller), if
this character is displayed on one or more line(s) correctly, you have
initialized and send a succesfully this character. If you only use the
controller's own characters this character is always displayed correctly, if
this character is missing a line (or more) then most likely the display is
broken.
So in your case send one character to all positions, you should see 4*20 of
the same character (or one different because of cursor), if not try another
display.

Good luck,

Alex