Jamie

Nomen Nescio wrote:

On 26 Jun 2005 12:42:40 -0700, wrote:

Why not tuen on the set and see what happens. The vacuum tube color
sets, which I worked on in the 50's to go thru college, were very
forgiving of temporary overloads, etc. If you are familiear with
tubes, you understand there is much more margin than with transistors
as far as temporary overloads are concerned.

Believe me, this set ain't in power-on condition. I was told that the set
was broken, hadn't been turned on in years, sat in an unheated garage for
years, and the power cord was snipped off. Upon a visual inspection, the
horizontal output tube was up to air (getter all white), and the chassis
was only partially bolted in place, bolts finger tight, another bolt
rolling around loose inside, along with several tube shields. The main
power transformer has leaked a dark brown goo down on the chassis (the
chassis sits vertically on its side), with the video board all gunked up.
The CRT board took a nice hit, cracking the neck socket. Fortunately the
wires to the socket are all intact, and the vacuum is still there. Believe
me, there have been many hands in this set, with many modifications from
the schematic I've obtained. The CRT is a 21FBP22, replacing the original
21CYP22. The old man who used to own it must have been in love with the
thing, because it appears the CRT has been exchanged twice from when it was
purchased in 1957. Looks like around the mid 1970's the repair shop told
the guy to give it a decent burial, because that's when the repair tags
end. They probably didn't want to work on it anymore.

So anyway, I'm going to give this my best shot. Have a whole bunch of caps
on order. Once I get the power supply cleaned up, I may attempt to fire it
up (only talking figuratively he-) and see if I can get raster....

you may find that the flyback is out in left field.
good luck in locating another.
it was a common problem of having bad flyback transformers
for various reasons.
one of the common problems was losing the horizontal drive, the tube
would heat up thus popping it self during its melt down and heating the
heck out of the flyback melting the wax while in process.