Fred R

Mark Healey wrote:
Like:
What are you making -- big stuff, small stuff?

Mostly small. Things I could fit in my pocket.

How much space do you have?

Very little, A 1 bedroom apartment.

How much money do youo have?

It depends on what I want to forgo. I'm planning to sell a 71 vw Type 3
which should yield me about U$1,500, and I can add to that if I have to.

Given this information, Sherline is a good starting place for you. As
others have said: well-made tools, high resale value (bargains on used
equipment are so rare you might as well dive in and buy new), very
active support and discussion groups on Yahoo, and many accessory suppliers.

I use both lathe and mill - now CNC'd and with DeskCNC software. They
handle aluminum (6061 T6, NOT big-box store extrusions) and Delrin with
aplomb, steel with care (12L14 is good).

Be prepared for sticker shock on everything you need *after* you have
the basic tools! $3000 would be a reasonable starting budget, including
a healthy amount for *good* measuring instruments.

--
Fred R