Glen Walpert

On 25 Jun 2005 17:54:38 -0700, wrote:

Thanks, Glen, that's an excellent reference, and I have ordered one
Lawrence for $18, book rate, to my PO Box.

A bargain, I think you will like it. BTW, induction generators were
discussed in the first edition of Lawrence, copyright 1916.

I suggest

http://www.qsl.net/ns8o/Induction_Generator.html

for single phase induction generator practice, and I have no source for
the theory.

Doug

I took a look at the single phase induction generator info. Learn
something new every day. The performance your source reports is
fairly dismal however, starting a motor only 1/10 the nameplate
rating, and providing significant output only very close to rated
frequency and only into a well matched load, all no doubt due to the
need to match the requirements of whatever phase shifting mechanism
the motor uses to obtain a rotating field from single phase power.

The performance of 3-phase induction generators is sooooo much better,
and used 3-phase motors are so cheap, that it only makes sense to use
a single phase induction generator if you are going to run it from an
engine with speed regulation, and connect only well matched loads. If
you need to match widely varying speeds and powers such as a windmill
generator, then 3-phase is clearly the only viable option, as it can
operate well over a very wide range of speeds and loads.

Glen