Doug Kanter

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...
With the opener disconnected from the door, can you open & close it
EASILY by hand?

If it closes by hand with some difficultly (you have to puch it closed)
but shoots up; you have too much spring force & it needs to be reduced.

No. As I mentioned in my post, the door was just serviced. The guy did a
great job of balancing it.

Openers are not any stronger than people, both require a well balanced
door system.

A well balanced door takes very little effort to move.
Most "garage door opener problems" are door related not opener related,

If you're not super handy / mechanically inclined don't mess with it.

The spring forces are high & they can you hurt badly.

Springs were professionally done a month ago. They're fine.

If the door is well balanced but the opener still reverses you need
more down force; some openers have a screw adjustment for opening &
closoign force.
So also have close & open limits on the rail or internal to the opener.

That's the problem: Manuals for current models show external adjustments.
There's nothing on the outside of MY model. Haven't removed the cover yet,
though.

Interesting situation at Genie: When I called them, they asked where I
lived. When I told them NY, they said that because state law requires the
photocell safety things, and my model doesn't have them, they were
prohibited from giving me ANY advice on the unit. Swell.