Default Test cable TV input signal strength?

I just made 3 16ft coax cable extensions that will run to 3 TVs (1
each) off of a cable that previously had only 2 TVs on it.
I bought rg6 wire with crimp on connectors and 3 5-900MHz 2-way
splittes for the connections.
I noticed a little snow in the reception of the 2 TVs i ran off of the
first 2-way splitter I installed.
Could I use my analog multimeter to test the signal strength coming
from the cable?
If so then what should the signal stength be?
The first splitter leads to 1 TV one way, and then the 4 other TVs.
The second split will be to 1 TV, and 2 TVs
Should I use better splitters?
Do I need a signal amp?
If so what do you recommend?
This is the first time that I have run cable so I'm not totaly certain
of what is best.