John A. Weeks III

In article ,
wrote:

The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that local governments may seize
people's homes and businesses, even against their will, for private
economic development.

http://www.wusatv9.com/news/news_art...?storyid=40692
http://www.wusatv9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=40692

Our rights went nowhere. It has always been legal for
government to use "eminent domain" to take property for
the greater good. Highways and downtown renewal projects
get done like this all the time. The only thing new here
is that the Supreme Court validated the practice. There
have been a number of challenges over the years, but this
is the first one that the court decided to hear.

A famous one was the case of the City of Richfield that
sized a car dealership to incorporate that property into
a tract big enough give the land to Best Buy for a new
building. The car dealership argued that the land at
the corner of I-35W and I-494 was the single best location
in the midwest for a car lot, and the land was not
replaceable at any price. They lost in the state supreme
court.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications