John A. Weeks III

In article ,
(v) wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:01:45 -0500, someone wrote:

.....My reaction
would be to tell all parties that I will show up for closing 24
hours after I get the HUD statement FAX'ed to me, and not a minute
before.

Hmmm. That's what you "would" do? Sounds suspiciously like big talk
and nothing more. How often have you been able to get your way by
doing this? In particular, since OP thinks it would have been awful
if she had to delay closing by a day, would she be able to use such a
tactic?

You have to avoid getting yourself in a spot where you have
no options. I have seen ruthless buyers go into a closing
knowing that the sellers had a 2nd closing to buy their new
place, and then they started demanding changes in the deal.
They knew they at least had a chance since the seller had
to sell to make the 2nd closing work.

I like to make sure that I always know what is going on at
a closing, and I make sure I don't get caught with my back
to the wall. I have still had people try to pull stuff on
me at the closing table. One that I recall is a party that
hadn't moved out of the house, so I couldn't take possession.
They had a 2nd closing, and had to sell. I wouldn't close
unless they were fully moved out--I didn't want to take the
risk of something happening after closing but before I
could take possession. The two realtors ended up posting
a bond that we could use as insurance, so with that protection,
I did go ahead and close. Everything did turn out OK, but
the movers did put a pretty big gouge in the drywall. That
was OK since I always touch up the drywall and repaint when
I take possession of a property.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications