Goedjn wrote:
What is the best way to remove a small stump? Dig around the stump and
then cut off from below ground level and then fill back in the hole?
I have 8 small stumps from dwarf fruit trees I had to cut down.
The Sawzall looks like a good thing to own.

Well, the BEST way to remove a small stump is to leave
2' of trunk attached to it, and use a bulldozer on it.

Failing that, digging out one side, and chopping it
off below-ground with someone else's saw works pretty
well.

Just a little "redneck" trick:

If the stump is not that wide in diameter, you can often use a
"Jackall" jack to remove the stump. Use a heavy gauge steel chain
around the base of the stump, wrap it tight, and then put the chain
around the large runner of the Jackall. Cut the stump about 4 feet
high, so you can lean the jack beam against the top of the stump. It
often takes a few tries, but they usual give. I removed 15 stumps
(about 8" each in diameter) from a cedar hedge that way in about 4
hours, roots and all, and saved a few days of digging and sweat.

BTW, don't get in the way of the jack if it wants to slip. Let it go.
The pressure there is enormous and you can easily lose your fingers or
your face trying to stop it. Also, a wooden plank, cut short, under the
jack will stop the base from sinking into the soil as pressure is
applied.