Jim Yanik

"DiezMon" wrote in
:

I'm just curious.. How come most cordless drills come with a switch
that lets you choose low speed/high torque, or high speed/low torque?
Corded drills don't usually have this. Is it simply because the 110v
motors can deliver more torque?

The GEARING multiplies torque.The motor turns the same RPMs for both
ranges,just the gearing changes,slower range multiples the torque more.

Corded motors have much more electric power available,thus they can use
more powerful motors.

It would be cheaper and easier for me to use and old corded drill.
But, a cordless type has a more reasonable speed when switched on the
high-torque setting. And I imagine since it's geared, the higher RPM
may be better for the life of the motor.

Input?

Thanks,

Tim

Why don't you try a scissors type lift mechanism(like a scissors jack for a
compact car),you have less complexity,drive the screw with your motor.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik