Prometheus

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:17:46 -0700, lgb wrote:

Walmart tokd me they couldn't copy some because they were taken by
professional photographers and doing so would violate copyright laws.
I was irritated enough to go home and read up on copyright law.

A few years ago, I was in charge of producing a monthly newsletter for
my church, and had the same sort of run-in with Kinko's. They were
very concerned that I had submissions from others in the group
included, and would not make the copies until I got ahold of the
manager, and signed a liability waiver. I think that is just where
it's at these days- you're probably better off just buying your own
scanner/printer combo.

If Walmart's lawyers are correctly interpreting the latest finagling
with the copyright laws, the laws need to be changed. I'll write my
senator and representative and send a copy to Walmart's headquarters,
but I doubt it'll do any good.

I think the phrase "You can't fight City Hall" applies here.

I'd be interested in hearing if others ran into this problem and how
they solved it.

I got my copies by signing a form saying I claimed the rights and
holding Walmart blameless if anyone sued us. I think I'm safe :-).

They should just hand you that form when you tell them you want
copies- instead of making you stand there and explain why you're not a
criminal. It'd make a whole lot more sense to me, but then again, I'm
not a lawyer...