Lew Hodgett

Clint wrote:

snip

$4900 CDN. But what a cool tabletop! If anyone's interested,
it's at the Windsor Plywood, in Leduc, Alberta (just south of Edmonton).

One of the neatest coffee tables I ever saw started life as a granite
partition between stalls of a men's restroom.

The building was typical of multiple story brick industrial buildings
built sometime after the Civil War, probably 1870-1890 era.

The entire men's rest room had been finished in sheets of granite.

100 years later, it was time for an update.

You can imagine the condition of some of these pieces of granite when
they were removed.

An associate of mine was given a sheet, which was given several acid
bathes to get it clean, then it was off to the stone cutter where it was
polished.

A great wooden support frame, a stand alone piece of furniture in it's
own right, was designed and built for this piece of granite.

Even left a small thru hole in one corner of the granite which had been
used to mount hardware in the restroom application.

Talk about recycling.

Was told the whole project took almost a year to complete.

At that point in my life, would never have even thought about such a
project or how to get it done.

I just thought it was neat.

Lew