DiezMon

Default OT? TV Lift: power Ideas?

Hey guys,

I'm building a custom TV Lift. I'm thinking of using a motor with high
torque that drives a basic block-tackle pulley system. Without getting
into electical engineering and power: I was thinking of using either an old
cordless drill, or corded drill.

I'm just curious.. How come most cordless drills come with a switch that
lets you choose low speed/high torque, or high speed/low torque? Corded
drills don't usually have this. Is it simply because the 110v motors can
deliver more torque?

It would be cheaper and easier for me to use and old corded drill. But, a
cordless type has a more reasonable speed when switched on the high-torque
setting. And I imagine since it's geared, the higher RPM may be better for
the life of the motor.

Input?

Thanks,

Tim