James Sweet

"Angrie.Woman" wrote in message
In sci.electronics.repair NSM wrote:

Nonsense. It's not the lead that's dangerous, it's the tube which might

have
a charge although that's most unlikely. A quick whack with a clip lead

will
empty that. 1 minute after, maybe. 6 months, no way.

Depends mostly on the quality of the rectifier, and on whether there are
any bleeding resistors or voltage dividers. Give a vacuum type HV
rectifier and no bleeding resistors it should be easily possible that a
picture tube retains high voltage for weeks.

Sigh. And since my original post was that a child should not take apart
a TV unless a grown-up knows how to discharge the thing that holds the
charge...it is likely we're all in agreement essentially.

Well that's certainly true, though mostly due to the implosion hazard.