Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:20:17 +0100, No Spam wrote:
Hax Planx wrote:

I once picked up a hitchhiker who claimed he knew of a guy who bought a
prototype Chrysler that got 80mpg.

Well seeing as there are many road vehicles in Europe that routinely
hit that figure its not surprising, as to whether a Chrysler could do
it I have my doubts. Other vehicles in the Daimler Chrysler group
could though.

Can you provide examples of 80mpg production vehicles please?

Schwinn, Raleigh, Murray, Titan, To name just a few manufacturers. grin

Vespa used to have some scooters that were in that neighborhood. I'm not
familiar with current offerings.

The French-manufactured 2CV typically got 50mpg on a _bad_ day.

80mpg is _not_ unrealistic. With one of my old cars, I routinely got
in excess of 20mpg at highway speeds. NOT impressive in and of itself,
but that was with a car weighing roughly 7300 lbs, and powered with a
7.8L engine. Automatic transmission; _with_ the air-conditioning on.

Scaled down by a factor of 4 -- you're talking about something in the
1500 lb range, with a circa 1.6L engine (assuming you drop the a/c).
Its probably only going to have 2-place seating -- a 'roadster' type,
or maybe a Morris 'mini'.