Tom Banes

On 24 Jun 2005 18:42:37 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

Anyone know how I can determine the top finish and then what's a good
way to clean, polish and preserve?

I can try on the first part, I'll leave the second to others.

20 years ago - hmm.

Start by cleaning a patch with mineral spirts (wax removal). Just rub
with a cloth dampened with MS and wipe with a paper towel. Next, wipe
with denatured alcohol on a clean cloth rag. Give it a few minutes. If
it was shellac finish, the finish will go white or be gone. If it's
white, wipe again with alcohol. If it's gone, time to refinish.
Continue until it's gone.

If alcohol doesn't cut it, try the same with lacquer thinner on a
clean rag. Once again, if the finish tries to goes away, you know what
you've got.

If not, trouble - it's almost certainly varnish or oil of some type.
That's a full fledged strip or strip and sand job.

Refinishing shellac is realtively easy, lacquer, not so easy but
doable. Oil and varnish are a pain, but time and sweat can prevail.
I've done all of them, but the varnish (and modern urethane) are the
worst hassle.

Regards.