Lurch

Default Electric Showers

On 17 May 2004 13:33:08 -0700, in uk.d-i-y (Simon
A) strung together this:

Under the requirements of the 16th Edition is it mandatory to fit a
30mA RCD when installing an Electric Shower? I am aware of the safety
advantages of using an RCD but is it a legal requirement for
installations in Hotels/B&Bs?

No, RCD protection is not required when all other associated
regulations are met, zoning, IP rating etc... and where the final
circuits tests are all proved to be satisfactory, unless the
manufacturers instructions say one is required. However, as this can
sometimes be tricky to achieve, or more commonly to cover ones arse
and also an RCD reduces the disconnection time and can help to pull
the test results under the stated maximum, an RCD is fitted to a
shower circuit.
Having said that, I have never fitted a shower without an RCD.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.