CAStinneford

We had DeLonghi units before we installed central AC and they were very
noisy as any portable unit is going to be. I don't think it would be worth
it to return the unit you have. Sitting in a room with 50db or 68db is going
to be sitting in a room with something loud. As long as it's cooling, I'd
stick with it.

"jay" wrote in message
I purchased a Royal Sovereign 9000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner. This is
the kind that doesn't mount in a window, and is on casters. (I can't use a
window unit where I live) The unit works, but I'm disappointed that it is
rather noisy. I have a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter and at the "A
Weighting" setting (the less sensitive setting) I"m getting a measurement
of 62db at around 3 feet from the unit. Believe it or not, the fan itself
makes most of the noise (at the lower speed) and the compressor only makes
a 1 or 2 db difference. There is no published spec for noise on the unit I
bought.

I notice that there are other units that are advertised as having lower
sound levels, such as the "Edge Star 9000btu" which is said to have a
noise level of less than 54db, and the "Delonghi PAC-03" which is said to
have a noise level of 50db or less.

Is it likely true that the above two units are actually 8 to 12 db quieter
than mine? I'd hate to go through the trouble of returning the Royal
Soverign only to find that the published specs on the other two units are
false. Should I return the Royal Sovereign and try one of the other
units? (Keep in mind that this it will be a major pain in the neck
repackaging this thing and returning it to Sears, and the other units are
only available to me via UPS or Fedex shipping.)

Thanks,

J.