Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:23:13 -0000, Michael Houghton wrote:
Howdy!

[snip a whole bunch of stuff where we are in fair agreement or better]

Did you actually follow up on my "Do A Google Search" to see what I was
looking at?

Well, without knowing which search terms you used, it's hard to know.
But, yes, I'm familiar with the chemistry and terminology involved, as
well as the various failure modes.

My bad. I DAGS for "nicad memory effect", and the first two hits were
productive, one being the sci.electronics FAQ.

Now, I'm not an electrochemist, but I had no trouble discovering this
information online, nor in corroborating it from multiple sources.

Well, put it this way...we used to use a charge/discharge cycle device
to increase the capacity of NiCd battery packs. The diminished capacity
appeared similar to the memory effect, and the improved capacity
afterwards appeared similar to a memory effect being mitigated. The
effect may have been something not technically "memory", but the
usability of the battery was effectively the same as if it was.

OK. That makes sense. I'm just twitching at the misuse (widespread) of
the term "memory effect" as it applies to NiCd batteries, since it
also serves to gloss over mistreatment effects by the end user.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/