Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:21:02 -0000, Michael Houghton wrote:

The "memory" effect is overblown, being difficult to actually demonstrate.
DAGS for nicad memory effect...

Come on over, I'll show you a real example. People have been saying for
decades that it doesn't exist, and people have continued to experience
it during all that time. A NiCd battery rejuvination produces
measurable real results; if that's not from memory effect, what do you
think it's from?

Rechargable batteries deteroriate in a variety of ways. Just because your
NiCad battery isn't putting out what you expect doesn't mean you are
suffering from the memory effect. Overcharging can do damage that results
in lower capacity.

The "memory effect" is specifically the result of repeatedly going through
a discharge/charge cycle that is (effectively) always a fixed percentage
of the battery's capacity. Consumer use of NiCad batteries is vanishingly
likely (read not hardly at all) to meet this strict requirement.

Charging too slowly, or allowing the battery to get too hot are other
species of mistreatment that harm capacity.

Now, "rejuvenitation" may well be able to repair some of these forms of
damage, but that doesn't mean that "memory" is involved.

Did you actually follow up on my "Do A Google Search" to see what I was
looking at?

Now, I'm not an electrochemist, but I had no trouble discovering this
information online, nor in corroborating it from multiple sources.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/