mac davis

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:53:47 GMT, "Dan Bollinger"
wrote:

Mac, 101° isn't hot enough for bending. Steam - actually hot water vapor
at about 200° - is barely hot enough. What steam bending does is soften the
lignin, the natural binder that holds the wood fibers together, so the
fibers can slide past each other. When cooled, it hardens and binds the
fibers once more.

thanks, Dan... we were wondering how much heat it would need...
the plans on the web for the pvc pipe/coleman stove talk about maintaining about
220 degrees..

Might try the wife's idea: bring a big pot of water to a boil on the bbq side
burner and soak the end we want to bend in it... lay out the clamping form on
the deck next to it... "redneck wood bending"... *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing