Gunner

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:50:46 GMT, jeff
wrote:

The "close to 50%" was from a casual conversation some 15 years ago with
an engineer in the precision engineering lab at Livermore when I was out
there on a CRADA. It was in large measure based on the 80000 mile throw
away Detroit junk of the late 70s. I haven't been able to lay my hands
on them, but ANL did a lot life cycle modeling of work in that era as
well. Most of the current analysis I see is based around "green" vehicles.

Here's one that gets it down to 10% by claiming a 14 year life cycle for
a 1990 Taurus: http://www.ilea.org/lcas/macleanlave1998.html

Here is one that puts it at 30% http://www.co-design.co.uk/green.htm

Here is one that runs about 20%:
http://www.autosteel.org/pdfs/avc_20...t_analyses.pdf

Where is your less than 5% from, because it flies in the face of
everything I've seen in the past 25 years?.

--

My 1995 Mazda/Ford pickup has 366,000 miles on the odometer.

That should tend to squew the amortization. Same engine as the Taurus
btw.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner