Steve Silberberg

On 5 Jun 2005 17:43:29 -0700, "Stretch" wrote:

I agree with slumlord about sealing the crawlspace. See the following
link to a crawlspace article:

My crawlspace actually is sealed, but not very well. I live in across
the street from Boston Harbor and winds come whipping in over 50 MPH
gusts several times during the winter. When this happens, I can feel
the wind come up into the living room through the old hardwood floor.
So while it's sealed in theory, wind gets in pretty easily.

In the summer, winds die down and it gets humid. I haven't seen any
rot under there, but it's hard to access, so I haven't looked in a
year.

The foam may be a good idea to reduce infiltration though. It
depends on how leaky your house is and how high your utility rates are.

I'm actually in the mood to fix it "for good", so while price is a
consideration, staying warm in the winter (and not getting rot in the
summer) are my primary motivations here.

So I guess I should re-phrase the question as "Is there a reason NOT
to use the foam?" or How can I insure it won't get too humid under
there if I use foam?

Thanks for all your replies.
Steve
Steve Silberberg