PVazquez wrote:
I have one question about the 7018 rod. Seems to me that is this is a 70,000
pound rod, I cannot see the use or difference in using 7024 instead, please
someone help me in this.

Well, far from being an expert, here's how I understand it:

7018 and 7024 are both the same strength rating (the 70xx) part.
The difference is in the flux coating. 7018 is a low-hydrogen
rod, that reduces porosity and embrittlement due to hydrogen,
often from water, that is often found in the flux on other rods
such as the xx10 and xx11 series. 7024 (and 7014) are high
deposition rate electrodes that have extra metal in the flux.

You would typically use 7018 or 7018AC anywhere you are worried
about a weld cracking under high stress, either from a fresh box
or out of a rod oven, or preferably, both.

You would use 7024 or 7014 anywhere you want to put down a lot
of metal in hurry, and are less worried about stress (such as
where you know the piece will be lightly loaded or you have a
lot more weld than needed to support the intended loads). They
are a very easy rod to run.

Damp (from leaving out in the open in humid air) 7018 nullifies
its advantage as a low-hydrogen rod, so that unless you dry it
out again, you basically have a 7014 or 7024 equivalent (a
relatively easy to run rod with no special properties).

How'd I do, guys?

--Glenn Lyford