Dave:

Where are you located?

There are many antique/tube type clubs out there that could probably
figure out what's wrong in a few minutes. Those of us brought up on
tube type am-fm radios can do what's needed in our sleep, but writing
out the process would take ten times that long, even for just an am
radio.

Regards,

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Dave wrote:
Hi,

I acquired a Tandy Chronomatic 246 clock radio that is in great condition.
The only problem I have is AM reception below 900 kHz is almost non-
existant. I can turn up the volume to max and touch the internal antenna
to hear stations at low volume. The FM band works great.

I did replace a leaking 4.7u electrolytic cap that was nearest to the
adjustable yellow choke and tuning cap, but it made no difference. I also
adjusted the chokes a little to see if I could get better reception near
900 kHz, but no luck.

I'm suspecting there might be a broken wire in the internal AM antenna?
The wires in position on the antenna a

Red-Black-Blue White

If I touch the white wire, much better reception. But it is soldered to
the PCB securly.

Is there a way to test the antenna, like ohm it out? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dave