NSM

"Dave" wrote in message

Thanks for the advice everyone! I should mention after tweaking the

chokes
around the variable tuning cap, reception is acceptable to 750 kHz, but
there are a few stations below that I'd like to listen to. I bought the
radio with its current problem at a garage sale, it doesn't look like

it's
ever been opened. I'll inspect the variable cap and chokes.

I do have a 5MHz function generator and a decent scope, is there some
advice on the net for testing receivers by injecting signals? I am mainly
a digital troubleshooting type and don't really know that much about tank
circuits and such.

Peak the IF at 455 KHz.

Adjust the coils to peak at 600 KHz, and the trimmers to peak at 1500 KHZ.
Repeat as required.

Not a big deal really. BTW, if the ferrite rod is cracked it won't work
well.