James Lerch

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:35:05 GMT, Ignoramus30369
wrote:

Aha. You told us what happened, but I am not sure why the sound was
what it was.

The camera's cheap microphone may have exaggerated the sound, along
with the fact it was recorded in a large metal building. In person it
sounds like any other diesel under acceleration.

I am curious as to the cause of the sound, best guess is either

A) Shock waves inside the combustion chamber or
B) piston slapping around inside the cylinder.

The reason it took so long for the engine to come to a stop is the
100+ pound fly wheel! The motor will coast to stop even longer if the
compression release handle is opened at shut down.

I would like to see a picture of the engine with something that is of
familiar size, superimposed. Such as a milk jug.

I'll see what I can get some additional pictures today at the shop.
In the mean time, the first set of images of the motor include a pack
of cigarettes as a reference. The pack of cigarettes measure 4" x
2.25" x 7/8".

Also, is it the kind of design when you must constantly add water to
the hopper?

It is at the moment, but I plan on getting rid of the hopper cooling
system and replacing it with a radiator / fan assembly.

One interesting item in the Chinglish manual is the comment "Boiling
of cooling water is usual while in operation"

Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge