bob smith

wrote in message
oups.com...
A few years ago I helped my son put some posts in for a hammock. The
hammock came with a recomendation to use 6 by 6 wood posts. We used 4
by 6 posts with the 6 inch being the depth of the beam. To provide the
soil resistance of a six inch post, we put a foot or so of 2 by 6 at
the bottom of the 4 by 6 so as to have the 6 inch diamension resisting
the movement of the post at the bottom of the hole. We then dug a
trench about two feet long and maybe 8 inches deep intersecting the
hole. And nailed some 2 by 6 across the 4 by 6 on the hammock side of
the 4 by 6.

I doubt if anyone can follow this without a picture. But the result
was a really solid post.

I think I get what you're saying. Thats an interesting suggestion, thanks.
In my case
the two posts are also forming two footers for an 18" high deck. So, the
deck will actually be
holding the posts apart too, and I think the strength of this will be
similar to what you have done.

Dan