Dave

Default Probably simple AM radio repair

Hi,

I acquired a Tandy Chronomatic 246 clock radio that is in great condition.
The only problem I have is AM reception below 900 kHz is almost non-
existant. I can turn up the volume to max and touch the internal antenna
to hear stations at low volume. The FM band works great.

I did replace a leaking 4.7u electrolytic cap that was nearest to the
adjustable yellow choke and tuning cap, but it made no difference. I also
adjusted the chokes a little to see if I could get better reception near
900 kHz, but no luck.

I'm suspecting there might be a broken wire in the internal AM antenna?
The wires in position on the antenna a

Red-Black-Blue White

If I touch the white wire, much better reception. But it is soldered to
the PCB securly.

Is there a way to test the antenna, like ohm it out? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dave