Brian Lawson

Hey Bob,

I'm too big and too old to desire a hammock any longer. But if it was
me, I'd at least string a top spreader beam in there too, at least the
size of the uprights. That way, you could convert it use as kids
swings, or a soccer style goal, or a clothes line, or some other good
use, once you get too old for the hammock too.
And be sure to remember the enormous "side loads" any hammock swinging
puts on any of this.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxX
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:35:12 -0400, "bob smith" wrote:

Hi,

I want to install two posts to hang a hammock. For aesthetic reasons I dont
want to camber them away from one another as typically
suggested. What size steel tube would I need such that deflection is
basically non-existant with a typical 1-person weight on the hammock? (lets
say 200 lbs) The posts would be 6' above ground, 4' below ground. The
hammock would hang from the top of the posts.

I was thinking 3" diameter but I'm not sure if the minimum sidewall (1/8")
would be acceptable or if I should go thicker.

What size would be equivalent to a 6x6 wood post for this application? (ie.
primarily bending strength)

Thanks!