Tom MacIntyre

On 21 Jun 2005 04:53:13 -0700, "John-Del" wrote:

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Hi Jerry...

Hoping that just a reflow will do, given that I can turn it
on and off with just a bit of a tap on the case, but if not
I'll be sure looking at the caps

Ken, your instincts are correct, it's not caps. Occasionally, you'll
find the vertical yoke coupling cap (high value) vented, but it won't
intermitt. I've had several 169s that had bad connections causing
vertical loss.

That's one strange thing I noticed in my 6 or so years in this
business...the most typical, multi-manufacturer failure of all, the
cap causes vertical IC to fail...was not typical at all of most of the
larger TCE sets.

Tom

Oh - one more thing... I retired before these things came
out... wouldn't mind touching it up while I'm at it.
Is there no longer a service switch (or jumper) to
completely collapse vertical?

I think the 169 has a software service switch. Try holding down the
menu while plugging the TV in, or holding the menu when turning it on.
Like Jeff says, the best gray scale tracking is usually achieved
without a service switch. Older CRTS don't track perfectly, so setting
up the base screens is best done with the contrast to zero, and the
picture dim. This will give you a different setting than if you did
the same using a service switch, which kills *all* video. You'll then
find that when you adjust the drives for best whites, it's sometimes
advantageous to fudge the screens again, then back to the drives again.

John