Bill Degener

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

How can I get a schematic? It would show me what capacitors are
involved. If I discover that the problem affects only some resolutions,
I might really narrow down the possibilities. It might also enable me
to test most of them without unsoldering.

I was not able to get a schematic from NEC on this monitor. I had to make
some educated guesses about where the problem was.

As the problem happens only briefly, I wonder if a bad capacitor could
appear to be in specs.

For a while my monitor was able to "drift" into working order if I would
leave it alone for a few minutes after switching to a problematic
resolution. As the capacitors got worse though, the monitor became unusable.
It was still quite new at the time (and just out of warranty) so I didn't
want to throw it out. I decided to do the fix and the monitor has been in
excellent working order ever since. That's been about two years ago.

William

ESR meters are nice for testing in circuit.