Harold and Susan Vordos

"bob smith" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I want to install two posts to hang a hammock. For aesthetic reasons I

dont
want to camber them away from one another as typically
suggested. What size steel tube would I need such that deflection is
basically non-existant with a typical 1-person weight on the hammock?

(lets
say 200 lbs) The posts would be 6' above ground, 4' below ground. The
hammock would hang from the top of the posts.

I was thinking 3" diameter but I'm not sure if the minimum sidewall (1/8")
would be acceptable or if I should go thicker.

What size would be equivalent to a 6x6 wood post for this application?

(ie.
primarily bending strength)

Thanks!

I'm far from an engineer, so I'm unable to provide specifics, but by your
description, with 4' of pipe underground, I'd be totally surprised if you
weren't satisfied with a plain piece of 3" schedule 40 pipe. It should be
the least expensive material you can buy, and is very close to your
specifications. Wall thickness is greater than the 1/8" you mentioned
(it's almost double @ .216"), and the OD would be 3.500" instead of 3".

I fully agree with the idea of filling the pipe with concrete, but I'd also
cap it when finished, well enough to prevent water from entering. If you
could keep it dry inside, you'd have no rusting except from the outside in,
and that would take a long time to destroy the pipe----perhaps not in your
lifetime. If you could tolerate the looks of galvanized pipe, even that
wouldn't be an issue.

One thing------I'd set these pipes in concrete, not just dirt. I've
watched guys install chain link fence---simply pouring bags of concrete
premix into the holes, adding water after the fact. No need to premix the
concrete before pouring. Makes the job a lot easier, and seems to work just
as well.

Harold