James Waldby

Tom Gardner wrote:
... I have an application that unspools wire with
a dancer operated switch controlling a @35 RPM 1/15 HP ac gearmotor belt
driving a roller that a wooden spool fits on.

These gearmotors are about
$250 ea and I have to replace at least two a year now.

The wire just needs to be "available" for the slide feed that feeds
the machine. The slide feed is one-way clutch rollers on an air slide, it
needs wire with little or no tension.

Perhaps a hydraulic or pneumatic motor would cope better with
the frequent start/stop cycle. Or switch an electric clutch
instead of motor power.

If you have room for a slack loop you might be able to cut
down the number of start/stop cycles by a factor of two or
three. With a slack loop and an adaptive speed control the
motor might be able to run continuously.