Anthony

"bob smith" wrote in :

Hi,

I want to install two posts to hang a hammock. For aesthetic reasons I
dont want to camber them away from one another as typically
suggested. What size steel tube would I need such that deflection is
basically non-existant with a typical 1-person weight on the hammock?
(lets say 200 lbs) The posts would be 6' above ground, 4' below
ground. The hammock would hang from the top of the posts.

I was thinking 3" diameter but I'm not sure if the minimum sidewall
(1/8") would be acceptable or if I should go thicker.

What size would be equivalent to a 6x6 wood post for this application?
(ie. primarily bending strength)

www.efunda.com
look for cantilever calculations

--