bob smith

Default What size steel beam to hang hammock?

Hi,

I want to install two posts to hang a hammock. For aesthetic reasons I dont
want to camber them away from one another as typically
suggested. What size steel tube would I need such that deflection is
basically non-existant with a typical 1-person weight on the hammock? (lets
say 200 lbs) The posts would be 6' above ground, 4' below ground. The
hammock would hang from the top of the posts.

I was thinking 3" diameter but I'm not sure if the minimum sidewall (1/8")
would be acceptable or if I should go thicker.

What size would be equivalent to a 6x6 wood post for this application? (ie.
primarily bending strength)

Thanks!