ehsjr

ehsjr wrote:

wrote:

You mentioned the behavior of L and C, which refers to the
way the *component* represented by C and the *component*
represented by L react.

The only components which can be represented by a single parameter L or
C are ideal components, which will always have exactly that value.
They can't saturate, because their value is mathematically constant.
Though you probably can't buy them at digi-key ;-) Compents that you
can buy cannot be represented by a single constant parameter, though
you may be able to approximate them as such for a useful range of
operation.

The discussion has nothing to do with ideal components.
L - inductance - definition 1 (the property) - exists in the world
L - inductance - definition 2 (the circuit element, typically a coil)
can exist in an electronic circuit.
L - inductance - the value we use in circuit analysis - can change
in some cases, as DC current through the component having the
property L increases until the component is saturated.

What I referred to is a circuit element that can saturate, as per
the definition for inductance.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=inductance
"1. The property of an electric circuit by which an electromotive
force is induced in it as the result of a changing magnetic flux.
2. A circuit element, typically a conducting coil, in which
electromotive force is generated by electromagnetic induction."

Not sure about this, but can the air-core inductor you just descrived
saturate?

I can't take credit for describin it - I just pasted in the definition.
The definition does not specify that the coil has no core, so it
could be one with a core or one without a core.

Or is it primarily a funtion of a core material like iron or
ferrite saturating?

I assume that is correct. Saturation, as far as I know, is not
a factor with an air-core inductor. I can't say an air-core
inductor will *never* saturate - I don't know.

Ed