Charlie Self

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
I've been on the list to get the new edition of his larger Antique &
Collectible Stanley Tools for a couple of years now. I went to his
website the other day and found that it was under construction, and
probably defunct. I tried calling his phone number to only get sent to
a different number which led to one in a different person's name. Any
idea what's going on? Anybody got a working address, URL, or phone
number? I sure hope this doesn't bode ill.

Something over a year ago, I was wanting some old tool info for my
reference book. At that time, it was a 10 minute drive to Front St. in
Marietta, OH. After six or so trips, I finally managed to find John in
his shop, and the second time around, I arranged to meet him at an
agreed upon hour so I could shoot some photos. I waited almost an hour.

In the next few weeks, I came by several times, and John wasn't open
and phone response was nil.

I got the feeling in talking to him that he sort of follows his own
drummer, and is often off on buying trips that extend a bit past what
he might have actually planned.

I have a feeling something similar may be going on, though the web site
being messed up more than usual is a worrier.

Too, the Ohio River flooded severely last year, dipping Marietta's
Front Street area in mud, messing up a lot of those small shops. It's a
nice little town--really nice, gorgeous Victorian buildings, brick
streets in many areas--so seeing photos of it messed up is painful, but
that's life on major river sides. That might have created some problems
for John, too.

I hope it's just an extended buying trip. John's a pretty good guy. And
his shop will drive you nuts with all the old tools.